View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, I think "scam" is far from what they are doing. Scam means "dishonest" or "fraud".

Let's be realistic here.

First, it is still unclear if someone that lives in the UK and downloads in the UK is going to be charged the $2.00 fee. Even so, that fee is ONLY charge if you have it delivered wirelessly. If you buy it online, d/l to your computer and use USB, same as you would at Smash words, all they are doing is adding VAT... and I think the only place that "scam" can be blamed on is the EU and UK government.

That said, if you don't want the Kindle sales of your ebook, pull it from the store.

BOb
It's hardly unclear. They charge the fee to any non-US customers. From what I can find on Amazon's confusing information page, you can only avoid the Personal Document Service fee by your proposed method, not the International Book Service fee which I've been talking about, which is included in the list price that you have to pay if you want the content. The fee is location-based per your IP address, and it doesn't get refunded just because you're buying it via your PC.

I'd say the way they're hiding their fees with obfuscation and the nebulous quality of what you're actually paying for is fairly dishonest. I'm not sure it would stand up under close scrutiny by EU law -- the appropriate bodies would at least tell them to give more transparency and clarification.

Regards,
Ryan

Last edited by Winter; 10-08-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote