View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
7. It doesn't invert the entire display to refresh. It just changes segments that have to be changed. No ghosting and the speed of refresh is very high. A fraction of the second.
That may be due to it's being a different approach to the display (I don't know that it is different, I'm just wondering if it might be).

If it's set up to only address the segment section as a block instead as individual pixels the way the e-readers we've seen are, then the black flash likely wouldn't be needed to get the same crispness. It would effectively be treating each segment as a separate display area, and therefore effectively changing the entire display area as a unit.

Again, I don't know that this is what's going on, I'm just theorizing based mostly on my experience with the differences between a 7 segment LED display module (where each segment is controlled as a single, discrete unit), and one of those programmable LED matrix signs (where letter 'segments' are made up of multiple individual LEDs controlled as a group).

In any case, thanks for the overview -- it's good to get some real-world feedback on what these phones are like.