View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #50
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
ok, Harmon, would be great to hear what you think.
Pleased to tell you!

I went out & bought a black 300. I'm comparing it to a blue 505, so the Reader color is not really a factor in the comparisons. (BTW, I went to two Borders to get the 300. One was entirely sold out, the other sold out of silver, which is the display model color, evidently.)

Interestingly, both Readers weigh about the same, the 300 a little under 8 oz, the 505 a little over. The 300 is slightly thicker than the 505. So, as with color, these factors don't make a difference.

Page turning appears to be at exactly the same speed in both Readers.

The 300 is easier to hold, due entirely to its size. Both Readers can be held in one hand while turning the pages with the same hand. But there are some differences that are important. (What follows is for Readers not in cases of any sort. Cases can make a difference):

One way to hold the 505 in one hand while turning the page is to use the buttons on the right side of the screen. This means that you can only do this with your right hand. It also means that the lower right corner begins to dig into your palm. And the result of holding it this way is that the weight is not well distributed, so the 505 is not well balanced in your hand.

Another way to hold the 505 is to use the lower left wheel to turn pages. This can be done with the left hand. But the weight distribution is not as good.

The 300 can be held in either hand, and the single wheel used to turn the pages. But there's no sharp corner to worry about, and because of the smaller size, the weight is better distributed on the 300 than on the 505, however held.

Now about readability. The screen background color seems to me to be identical on both Readers. However, I found a small but noticeable difference in the clarity of the 300 font over the 505 font. This difference virtually disappears in bright light, but it appears to me that it might be due to be due to a very slight difference in the size of the respective fonts. I tried to measure the difference, but I can't absolutely say that they are different. It could be that the 300's eInk is a teeny bit darker, or the resolution the font a little bit tighter.

As an aside, I suspect that the font on a silver Reader will seem clearer than one on the darker color Readers, because the lighter border color will give an illusion that the font is darker on a silver Reader.

Finally, let me say that in the 300, Sony has nailed what I want in the size and configuration of a portable eBook reader.

It is just large enough that there are enough words on the screen at level two not to be page turning too fast, while leaving the words legible to these 62 year old eyes. I suspect that for younger eyes, level one will be just fine in that respect. (If I had to read at level three, though, I think the page turning would become tedious.)

The 300 is just small enough to fit in a jacket pocket securely enough not to fall out. It would be a bit awkward in pants pockets though, but I tend to wear cargo shorts when I can & it will fit a cargo pocket just fine.

When I hold the 300 in one hand, the space below the screen allows me room to place my thumb in a good position without intruding into my view of the screen.

I would not attempt pdfs or serious reading on the 300; nor, for that matter, would I do so on the 505. Both these devices seem to me to work best for casual reading, fiction or faction.

Bottom line - I think my 505 has just become obsolete.

Last edited by Harmon; 10-05-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote