View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I would say, for clarification, if after pressing the next page button, there is overlap with the text you've already read, you are seeing scrolling behavior instead of real page turns. If the software/hardware is reluctant to tell you the page number and/or how many pages are left... that is at least a partial step away from the page paradigm.
Perhaps other ereaders are just that different from the Kindle? I've only ever demoed the Sony, and I don't remember much about it at this point.

On the Kindle, it shows at the bottom of the screen my "Location" in the book, which is almost the equivalent of a page, but it's set so that the Location numbers are the same for all readers, no matter the text size used. So at any given time I can see that I am on Location X of Y and I'm Z% through the book. And since there's no text overlap when I go to the next "page", I do see them as distinct page turns.

So if I'm understanding your argument correctly, then I agree with you completely! I like having my distinct pages, and I like seeing my progress and having clearly defined chunks of text, and I abhor scrolling to read a story. It's one of the primary reasons I don't read long webpages of text. For instance, when free stories are posted online, I rarely read them on my monitor. If it's something I really want to read, I drop it onto my ereader.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote