View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Better without pages

I've seen the opinion expressed a good few times that eBooks have no pages--usually in a tone suggesting that this is a positive thing. As suggested by my signature line, I'm not of that mind... in fact I am rather puzzled by the idea.

I'd like to hear from people who hold the view that eBooks are better for being without a concept of pages. Why do you think so? What downside would you perceive to trying to make eBook display software treat reflow formats as having pages? (Whether pages of predefined length like ePub, or pages of dynamic length [i.e.: screenfulls]?)

I do not want this thread to turn into a PDF is not an eBook format thread. Perhaps if somebody feels like they can write a nice detailed post with compelling counterarguments, they could start a separate thread... seeing as how most of the crowd on either side of this debate is not liable to heretical conversion.

Thank you in advance for all those who share their thoughts on this matter!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote