View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
CharlieBird
┐Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF700T, Nexus 7(2013), NookSD Glow, Note II
Well, I finished re-reading about 2:00 a.m. w/the same frustration I felt initially in trying to follow the cups, the cocoa and the coffee. Decided it didn't matter that much as it was a pretty good read overall. I didn't remember Poirot as such a romantic from my recollection of the BBC Mystery productions. I did love his description of Miss Howard as "...an excellent specimen of well-balanced English beef and brawn..sanity itself." I sort of agree w/NormHart but this is a rare instance when I'd choose the visual.

I also read the nominated Sayers' Murder Must Advertise which I also liked. I was surprised that advertising was seen much the same in the 1930s as it is now.

I also think it notable the difference in early English and U.S. detectives. Even when the English fellows started turning a bit scruffy, when? in the 70s or so... they seem to retain a patina of upper class intelligentsia. Maybe excepting Ms. Marple.

I'm off to see about The Chinese Parrot. Know nothing of C.Chan, but don't have an image of him as what I think of as "typical" U.S.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote