I have purchased an old secondhand PDA
It is an almost perfect bookreader for me.
- large screen - 640x240 black/white LCD
(well, more like dark grey/light grey color ;-)
The screen is larger than screen on the most PDAs
- has backlight, if needed
- was cheap, so I am not afraid to toss it into a backpack
- when you do not use backlight it can last a looong time on one
charge. Even 21 hours
- runs on two AA batteries
- I always carry spare charged accumulators, so I do not
run out of juice on road
- accumulators can be changed very easily
(unlike other devices whre you have to send the device
to an authorized service to change an internal battery)
- if the capacity of an accumulator is not big enough,
you simply buy better one
- I use built-in "ms pocket word" to read the books
- you can use two CF cards in the device - one directly
and other one using PCMCIA adapter (available for less than
10 bucks). Or you can buy relatively cheap CF adapter
for your SD card.
I hold the device in my right hand when reading and I touch the scrollbar
with my thumb to scroll the text.
at this moment there is one such device on ebay for 16 bucks.
I have nothing to do with the above-mentioned bid, I simply
found it at this moment when I was having a look if you can still