View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Twain's statement I think refers to inclusion, rather than exclusion.

However, even that makes a lot of assumptions. I sometimes help illiterate adults learn how to read, and they'll probably never get as far as some of the classics, unless they're very lucky and motivated. However, even a children's book can be an emotional event for some of these people. Does that mean they are of sufficiently simple emotional development that even a child's book can elicit a reaction? No. Had I told the story to them orally, they would have found it childish and uninspired.
If they're illiterate then they obviously have something to gain by reading children's books. It's more challenging for them than those of us who have been reading our entire lives. Similarly, reading a Spanish children's book is challenging for me and a worthwhile endeavor to improve my Spanish skills.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote