View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #40
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekaustralia View Post
Went on line and I see some of the Asus eee books are shipping with ebook software fbreader It apparently is in the internet section of the desktop. Discovered like many people that I did nt have the said icon in my internet desktop. But looking through the master directory and FBReader, its There!

So I decided Id try a few ebooks through fb reader.It reads html txt and fb2 files well, but doesnt understand some punctuation in rtf files. Its also a bummer it doesn t read pdf and lit files which 90% of my files are. So I converted some books using abc amber lit converter and book designer 4 was also good. the end result on fb reader is excellent. You can designate key presses for absolutely everything text size background/font colour so a dull grey background is nice to read black text off .eyestrain is at a minimum. And when you increase the size of the reading font it re formats the text so no more side scrolling at a snails pace inbetween page flips. It is a present for my wife who at the moment is literally chewing her way through vampire novels steph meyer etc.
I'm using FBReader under Puppy Linux on an old Fujitsu LifeBook. Aside from what you mention, it handles MobiPocket and Plucker files among other things. Since most of my ebook library was is or had been converted to those formats for use on my Palm OS PDA, it meant I could transfer and read mostly everything I already had.

FBReader on Linux was set to be the default application for opening PDB (Plucker) and PRC (MobiPocket) files. So rather than create a desktop icon for FBR, I created a desktop pointer to my ebook folder. When I want to read, I drill down to the book I want and click the directory entry in the file manager. FBR is invoked to read the book.

Works fine here, and I'm quite pleased.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote