View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch
- Guaranteed not to be free. Freedom of the press does not mean Press output is free.
The last time I looked into this, the cost model of newspapers was:
1. The cost of the actual printing of the paper and the distribution of the physical paper is paid by the price you pay for the paper.
2. The costs of the content is paid by the advertising in the newspaper.

With an eNewspaper, cost #1 goes away (well, goes so low that it's not noticable). So they will have to figure out a way to take care of #2.

+ An eNnewspaper with no ads, that we have to pay for? That would have value. I've seen speciality magazines that were funded completely by subscriptions.
+ An eNnewspaper with ads, that is cost free? Basically what we have today.
+ Something else?

Quote:
- DRM issues will be even bigger and noisier than ever before.
I don't see this. All the newspapers on the web today don't do anything to "protect" their articles. News articles lose their value very quickly, so there's no value in "protecting" them.

(Note that I use "protect" since it's already been admitted that DRM is not about protecting content, but about locking users into a device/service.)

Quote:
- Just IMAGINE the licensing nightmare of electroniclly distributing the comic section!
And what comic in the newspapers DOESN'T appear on the web for free today?

I used to have a a small program that would go out to the various comic sites, suck down the comics you wanted to see, and put them in one HTML page for your convienence.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote