View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Favor: check free ebook for me?

Kindle users...

I'm working on creating a free version of Bertrand Russell's 1919 classic Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy, available online in many different formats. (This is in the public domain, though I've produced a new corrected version with consultation from the Bertrand Russell Archives, which I'm distributing freely.)

I have working HTML, PDF (in various sizes) and ePub versions, but I want also to make available a version that works on Gen 1-2 Kindles, so I created a mobi version. The limitations of the file format created certain difficulties, particular with regard to some of the mathematical notation used in it.

In particular, it uses the Hebrew letter aleph as a name for certain transfinite numbers (standard since Cantor), but this can't be done the normal way in the mobi format, so I resorted to putting in a tiny in-line image that looks like the character. I'm curious how it looks on a Kindle, but I don't own or even have access to one. (I have checked what it looks like in Mobipocket creator, but I'm not sure if that's indicative.)

Would someone be kind enough to load it on their Kindle, and let me know what it looks like, particularly the alephs, which are mainly in chapters 8-9. (You can compare it to the HTML or PDF versions if need be.) Screenshots would be nice, but not necessary.

In return, you get a free book!

If so, you can download the .mobi version from project page here. (You can also find the other versions there too.)

Once I know it's working properly, I'll upload it here too.

Thanks in advance!
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote