View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Whispernet is dead simple (and I assume Sony's will be as well). Turn wireless on, get your stuff, that's it. No passwords, no pairing, no worries when you wander away from the wifi AP.
Yep and it also works on a moving bus or train which is great if you commute on transit.

Personally, I didn't think I'd use it much when I first decided to buy the Kindle. I figured it was for people who were tech phobic and intimidated by the idea of sideloading. What makes it nifty is the ability to load up on samples and have the rest of the book right away without having to plan ahead. It keeps me from buying books before I've read much of them just because I know I'll need something to read later. I haven't bought a single clunker since I've had the Kindle. I estimate I end up not buying the book for a good 30-40% of the samples I download. Most of those are books I would have bought had I not read the sample first. This is a serious money saver as well as a convenience.

The best thing is that I can pretty much always have something I want to read right now. Sure, I always have some unread books on the Kindle. There are thousands of great, free books I have waiting in the wings. The thing is books are not interchangeable. I'm sure most of us have opened a full fridge and closed it again even though we were hungry because, even though it was full of food, none of it was what we wanted. I could have a thousand books on there and have not a single one the suits my mood at the moment. I firmly believe that once the Sony folks get to experience this, they'll see just how brilliant it is. Readers are great without wireless. It's not like we need wireless, but it really adds to the reading experience in a meaningful way.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote