View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Welcome to the amazing world of "Why regular expresions tend to fail when converting straight quotes to curly quotes"

May I suggest you use different markup for right single quote and apostrophe (both displayed as )? That way, it would be fairly easy to change from US- to UK-style or vice-versa afterwards. In my files I use "’" for right single quotes and "& #8217;" (no space) for apostrophes, they encode the exact same character, however.
This is an excellent idea. I had this thought of making the apostrophe unique, but I didn't have a specific plan, and I didn't know if it was considered good practice. It makes perfect sense for conversion.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote