View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Levels of the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
It seems like recently there have been a slew of new posters to MR whose posts begin with 'I just published my novel XYZ on the Kindle, hope lots of people read it!' I am so frustrated with these. I wonder if these authors truly do not realize that the Kindle (and therefore their book) are, due to their publishing decision, only available to readers in one country out of the whole wide world?
So why are so many people limiting themselves unnecessarily and potentially alienating real, paying customers? It makes no sense to me.
Theoretically, I agree with you.

On the other hand, in practice, I've only ever bought one DRMed title in [cough, mumble] years of ebook reading. That was an MS lit title for my old Compaq Aero 1550 from the old B&N ebook store. It was a murder mystery set in Canada, by coincidence.

I've bought non-DRMed books from Fictionwise and Baen over the years, but I have trouble keeping up with the sheer number of free titles available. Authors unwise enough to not do their homework, and limit their potential sales are just out of luck. Someday I may read their books, but probabaly not.

On the gripping hand, look at it conversely. The authors, while self-limited, do have an ebook presence. It may not be the best approach, but they are in the game. They're miles ahead of most authors who have no idea there is a game.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote