Thread: ePub file icon?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
It was great, wasn't it. Window's eventual victory was yet another example of the triumph of marketing over excellence.

I'll go looking for Irfanview after I've finished here. I'm not ready to go as far as Scruffy, though.

Regards, Alex
That is not the way I heard it. Microsoft kept modifying the version of windows at the time until OS/2 couldn't run it and then started requiring that version for apps with their dll's. What they did to break OS/2 was to make a call for non-existent memory that they never intended to use which OS/2 caught and errored on since it had memory protection.

Secondly they came out with Windows95 and everyone was so scared of past windows practice of using undocumented calls in the OS that when Microsoft offered to let them look at the source they signed up. The restriction to allowing to let them look at the source was that they were not permitted to port to any other OS. At the time Adobe Framemaker had promised an OS/2 version along with other Adobe products and they killed that port to get access to the Windows 95 source code.

Is this marketing? Not where I come from.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote