View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyk View Post
Is kindle Dx a good buy right now or should i be waiting for iRex's new reader / Plastic logic .. main reads would be pdf tech books / manuals / research papers ..

thanks
I've had my iRex DR1000S for about a week now, and (for the most part) have been extremely pleased with the purchase.

As with most people who have to part with $860 (and actually more, once you add up all the different accessories that are good to add), I thought through a lot. As HarryT mentioned, PDF support on DX is horrible. This inadequacy is well-documented and widely-reported.

There were 2 reasons that I went with the iRex now vs. waiting for the Plastic Logic: (1) iRex seems to be making continual improvements to the firmware, and removing/reducing bugs along the way. (2) A bigger reason for me was that the Plastic Logic is set to debut with 6GB of memory -- please correct me if I'm wrong on that -- but the iRex can reportedly be fitted with a 32GB SDHC card with no problem. I've got a 16GB SDHC card in mine right now and it works great. Considering I'm an academic with hundreds (and growing!) of PDF's that are 10-15MB each, I wanted the extra flexibility.
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote