View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I do not think that a subscription based system is such a bad deal for text books. A lot of students tend to sell their books at a loss when they are finished with them anyway. Since the text books are advertised at 50 percent off the normal hard cover price the costs may work out in the end. Plus you have the ability to search through the text. I would much rather have all my text books on a netbook rather then carry a bunch of hard copies around.
While I see your point, I think having my notes anchored to a subscription book might be problematic. Additionally, with a subscription, if I can't pay one month, my textbook goes poof? That's something I'd be concerned about, especially from the perspective of a college student (unless subscriptions come in 12 week increments)

There's also a potential problem to overcome of using your phone for school-work and looking like you're texting. When I was most recently in school (last year) many of my classrooms had banned cell phones. I don't know how policies are shaping up now, but I presume they're not far off. Schools (in this case) have incentive to block the use of texts coming from a non-bookstore source as it's loss of sale...

None-the-less, I'm glad to see Textbook publishers reaching out and trying new business options. Someone's trying to come into the 21st century.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote