View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Translating long/complex strings

I'm finishing a revision of the Spanish translation of Calibre, and I'm wondering what I should do with long or complex strings...

It seems some of the strings are used as floating tooltips, but the text is not wrapped to a manageable size, so it's displayed in the GUI as a single long line. I guess I could add hard breaks (\n) in the translated string, but would it be better if the GUI did wrap tooltips to a narrower size? (For instance: "The base font size in pts. All font sizes in the produced book...")

There are a couple of strings that include even an HTML header, notably the main text in Advanced preferences. Is this really needed? It even sets the font name! The other instance looks like an empty html file (search for DTD in the .po file).

By the way, it seems the branches in the plugin list are named by joining two strings, one with the generic name (Metadata reader, File type, etc.) and the other with " plugins". This works fine for English, but not for other languages where the modifier comes after the noun (i.e., it would be something like "Plugins for (whatever)". Could this be changed to "%s plugins" or something like that?
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote