View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung ATIV Smart PC Tablet
Think I want another fantasy book/series...

Heya gang! I need your help.

I'm generally a fantasy or science fiction reader and have had a pretty good run lately of reading choices thanks to recommendations here - good work everyone! I just finished Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear (enjoyed them a lot) and was ready to start in on something new so I pulled out some recommendations and found either free (as in Baen) or samples of non-free books so I could get a feel and had bad luck.

Tried the Deed of Paksanarrion by Elizabeth Moon. I barely made it through the couple pages of prologue. I know it's favored by many here, but that read like a high scool D&D session or something. Maybe I just didn't give it enough chance, but it turned me off quickly.

I then took a look at the Malazan Empire books by Steven Erikson. These sound interesting and "big" which I haven't done in a while. I knew going in that the first book, Gardens of the Moon, is initially hard to get into, but I'm willing to fight through that if something promises to be a worthwhile series. Unfortunately I'm having a rough go of it on this one, too, but I'll be the first to admit I'm only a few pages in.

So I'm hear looking for help, guidance, whatever you're selling I'm buying. Do I need to give either of the ones I just listed a better try? Is there something else that might be more engaging early on? I know I haven't told you what I've already read, but like many of you that's likely a long list so I'll just list a couple that I really liked as examples.

Farseer books by Robin Hobb - *loved* these
Tolkien - of course!
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

That's probably enough to say I prefer deep stories, deep characters and fulfilling stories than some of the "fluff" like Terry Brooks. Don't get me wrong, things like that can be fun (I've read my share!), but I'm looking for something "more".

Thanks everyone!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote