View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders
I'm expecting someone to give me a procedure that runs on the PC that has CONNECT installed on it to register that computer (and perhaps the reader) with Adobe and then transcodes the Adobe DRM into the Sony DRM for playback on the reader.
Unfortunately, you're not likely to get that, mostly because it would require Adobe to open up their DRM -- If they were inclined to do that, I don't expect it would be there in the first place. There's also the detail that it would probably run afoul of the DMCA. Another, considerable hurdle is that there isn't any way to reliably get decent text out of a PDF, encrypted or not -- Adobe set out to make PDF the digital equivalent of paper -- preserves layout, resists editing, etc., in short, a dead end -- they did a pretty good job of it. I won't go into the details of that discussion as it's been kicked around a great deal here so there are any number of threads that have already said it better than I can.

It's not that we think the situation is a good one, so much as we've known about it long enough to move to the stage of figuring out how to work within the limitations.

My personal view is that long term we need to keep pushing providers to be less proprietary (or at least decide on a single format amongst them) and the highest goal of all, push to leave DRM in the gutter where it belongs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote