View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders
Now it becomes important who publishes an author's book. If they are a Sony ally, I'll be able to buy them on CONNECT and read them on my reader. If they are not, then Sony thinks it is OK to exclude them from my reader.
In all fairness, Sony does seem to be trying to get as many books in their offerings as they can. They launched with about 10k titles (not very many, when compared to the average Barnes & Noble), 10 weeks later, they'd topped 11k, or about 100 titles a week on average, which ain't too shabby.

What you're really running into is an aspect of the Proprietary Format issue. Only for you it doesn't seem to be a problem that Sony uses its own PF, but more that it doesn't support other people's PFs.

I agree with you that it would be very nice if it did, but there may be issues that are complicating it -- just think what licensing all those other PFs might do to the pricing. Though in reality, I expect it's more likely that they never got that far, but rather just decided not to support other PFs in the first place. It should be noted that the fact that they support anything other than their own PF is a huge step for them, though.

Also, since the Reader's OS is Linux, there's not really any reason that other reading software couldn't be made to run on the Reader. And there are a number of quite clever folks around the forum who are working on various ways to make the Reader do the various 'extra' stuff we all think it should've done in the first place, so there is hope.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote