View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've got nothing against DRM-free eBooks. I've downloaded a couple of Project Gutenberg books to my reader. However, Mr. Dickens isn't going to be writing any new books.

Authors are writing books to make a living. I support that. In order to make a living, I have to pay for their intellectual property, even if I provide all the storage. I understand this is different that paperback books, where the publisher provides the paper to store the intellectual property.

What I was referring to as "real" eBooks are eBooks written for profit, "real" was an association with "real books" like "paperback books"; not "real books" as distinct from "SF books".

I've never really cared who published my favorite authors, or my favorite musical groups. While Wiley and Baen use different fonts, there is no functional difference between their paperback products that I ever cared about. Now it becomes important who publishes an author's book. If they are a Sony ally, I'll be able to buy them on CONNECT and read them on my reader. If they are not, then Sony thinks it is OK to exclude them from my reader.

This is a big change in the value proposition. I can't really expect that the book I want to buy will be available. If I'm forced to read only the CONNECT books, this reader isn't really a replacement for paperbacks. Frankly, I'm thinking about sending this Christmas present back. Maybe the next version won't have this restriction.

/Randy
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote