Thread: MobileRead Discussion: Three Men in a Boat
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
It's been a while since I last read it, and I found I'd forgotten most of the descriptive passages. The (Hiawatha-esque) section contrasting the river in good weather, with the river in bad weather was a beautiful piece of writing I thought.
I agree with pdurrant, it shone an interesting light on how things really were in 'good old days'. The bit about children throwing stones at the rowers was described as a pretty normal bit of fun - these days they'd get Anti_Social Behaviour Orders from the authorities (we're lucky that children today are so much better behaved than previous generations ).

As a literary work, combining other elements as well as the humour - I thought 'Three Men in a Boat' is a deserved classic, and hugely enjoyable.
As a purely comic work, there are funnier examples from (broadly) the same period imho (e.g. 'The Autobiography of Augustus Carp', 'Diary of a Nobody').

Last edited by Sparrow; 07-27-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote