View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #75
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by berend View Post
I have a few more technical questions too.
- For starters: there is no official firmware update for the Kindle DX yet. Is an image of the unhacked firmware 2.1.337560062 available for reverting if I would run into trouble with any other firmware that I use?
You can always extract firmware contents after installing my usbnetwork update. It's safe - I don't modify any existing code or scripts.

Quote:
-What about using the usb networking firmware on an already registered Kindle DX like mine. Do I run the risk of losing the registration?
No, my Kindle is registered. I use usb networking only for hacking, not as a replacement for wispernet - it's safe

Quote:
- I don't really know this, but I am assuming that books I buy through the Kindle store are DRM-protected and will only open on my Kindle. Is that the case? If yes, how does the device check the digital rights? Is that locked to a hardware ID (similar to a mac address) or is there a piece of software like a license file that should remain unaltered?
Google for kindlepid.py - there is plenty of info. In short, book is encrypted by Amazon using a key (PID) which is derived from Kindle serial number