View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
I know this thread is a couple of months old -- but just HAD to relate a story regarding this very subject.

My Samsung HDTV quit working completely less than 24 hours after the 1-year mark. I keep the receipts of my high-dollar items taped to the actual item (in this case, in a little envelope taped to the back of the television).

I get myself all worked up ready to royally chew out Samsung, but totally keep my cool. I called, got transferred to "Elite Customer Care" (or some such like-named department). Told them that according to my receipt, I purchased this television on July 1st, 2008 at 4:20pm. It is now July 2nd, 2009 at 11:00am. The guy said to take a picture of my receipt, email it to some Samsung address as attachments so they can see the letterhead of the store, the item (TV itself) with the price, the total price, and that it was actually paid for.

I did that -- all while on the phone with him. He said everything looked good, and he was going to extend my warranty. In the next few hours, I should receive a call from my local service center to schedule a time for someone to come out to fix my TV (free of charge!). Got a call fifteen minutes later -- some other guy confirming my receipts. Fifteen minutes later, another call from my local service center's technician saying he lived just a couple of streets over from me. That he got off work at 5:00pm, he had to run an errand, and should be by my place no later than 6:00pm.

He showed up, took my TV apart on the spot, replaced my power supply unit, showed me exactly what went wrong (two capacitors popped) and said I could fix this myself (we talked about electronics, and after seeing my house, it was quite obvious that I do know electronics -- wasn't going to take the TV apart myself until I could make absolutely sure there was no warranty left on it).

So, in the course of just seven hours -- my television was fixed.

Well, there you have it. My "One Day (less than 24 hours!) Out of Warranty and the Device Dies" story.

Good work, Samsung. Good work, indeed.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote