View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Hadrien,

You don't generate a new PDF every single time a download request is made, do you?

Is there some sort of caching mechanism?

The reason I ask is that your webserver seems pretty slow, although it might just be the connection

Sam Krupa
We cash all the templates (A4, Sony Reader and iRex iLiad) but we can't cache the custom PDF (pretty obvious why). Since we've just released the beta and that we're deleting the cache quite often now, while we're still making changes as soon as we find a bug, you're highly likely to be the first one to download a book, which can take a dozen of seconds if the books pretty big. This won't happen much when we'll have more users on the server: most of the content for the templates will be in cache, it'll take a few secondes only if you generate custom PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg
OK, you're right. The links on the TOC page don't show up in Acrobat, but they do show up when transferred to the Reader.

Bookman's not doing it for me. It's as bad as Times Roman on the Reader. Spindly and sort of faded. Helvetica works a lot better.
They're also in Acrobat Reader for me (got the new one). As for the font, I've just found a bug for the Sony/iRex version. It's not the right font for the title and toc, making it looks faint on the reader but the text itself is much better.
I took bookman for the moment because I know that a few members who use LaTeX are using this one, but we'll make a poll to decide the right one for the template. Then there's always the custom PDF options too. You just have to set the right settings once, then it'll be saved and you just have to click on Custom PDF.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote