View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
stxopher
Addict
stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: 1150, PRS-500, Cybook, iPad, Kndle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Which "group" is this...?
Friend/community thing. It started out a couple years ago with the kids coming over for school research and homework help and then developed over time into a focal point for everyone. Currently my place is being used as a manga/anime center (Friday-Saturday), gaming clans (Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday) and a complete library lending center (database located at my place with everyones books, DVDs and CDs listed so they can trade). Hey, it's cheap, parents know where their kids are and we all share resources. Works for us.

As for the flashes, for most of us using the readers, the point was that it doesn't seem to bother us because, well, you guys are right, we got used to it very quickly. But what is it about that one particular action that seems to turn so many people away? Even people who were really interested in them often see the refresh and decide that single point is enough to outweigh all the benefits offered.

That's why I was wondering if it was a perceptual problem. We look at things such as monitors and TVs completely different than we look at static displays. Perhaps that unconscious categorizing is what makes the refresh so unbearable to some people. In their mind they judge it by video standards instead of static standards. That flash on a video display WOULD be unbearable over time. (Owww. I'm getting a headache just thinking what that would be like.) On a static display, it fades to the background rather quickly as just a "page turn".

Almost every negative review really comes down on the refresh. I honestly wonder how many of those come from reviewers who spend a lot of time in front of their monitors and so automatically use what they look at all day every day as the baseline. What sort of a graph could you draw between non-techcentric book readers and high-techcentric book readers? Blast, just what I need, another project.....

(This isn't really that important an issue but it's been making me crazy...ier ... than normal trying to figure out why such a minor thing upsets so many people.)
stxopher is offline   Reply With Quote