View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
stxopher
Addict
stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.stxopher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: 1150, PRS-500, Cybook, iPad, Kndle3
A possible reason for E-ink flash annoyance?

Our little group just picked up its third reader, thus spreading literary gadgetry even further. While listening to people seeing it for the first time, something finally clicked. They always ask questions as if it were some sort of media player (after all, it does have a screen and is a computer, right?). Questions like "can it play videos" and "can it hook up to the web". And then almost always a negative reaction to the page-flip refresh.

I said ALMOST always. Two people who saw it had almost nothing but praise for the idea and implementation. They weren't even bothered by the refresh. In fact, they didn't notice it. Why were they different? My guess would be because neither one uses a computer nor do they have a TV. (Yes, they are intentionally simple people by choice and lifestyle and much happier that way.)

Could what annoys everyone else who complains about the refresh be looking at it instinctively as a monitor and not a page? With most current devices that flip-flash makes us think our display is bad and it becomes an automatic strike against it when doing an initial evaluation. After a bit of use, the user becomes accustomed to it and can separate the display standards between regular monitors and e-ink so it generally no longer bothers them.

Strange that the people who look at e-readers as a book and not a computer are pleased with it while those who look at it as a device and not a book are not.

(By the way, those two are now trying to decide between the Sony and the Irex. Like I said, they live a simple lifestyle because they WANT to but know a good idea when they see it.)
stxopher is offline   Reply With Quote