View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #67
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by cze View Post
Dear mgmueller,

thanks alot for the wealth of information you provided for me. I have now bought myself an Iliad and am very happy with it. As I of course have practically no experience with all the things that are possible now, maybe you can point me some bits still further?

How do you transfer your files to your Iliad? (Via iRex Tool, USB, Samba, ftp, CF-Reader or ...?)

Btw, I already had to reflash the thing because after installation of some third party applications (dropbear, i assume, but cannot retrace it until now) it kept rebooting.

Now if you allow: what I would be really interested in is how you did setup your Iliad. Which third party tools did you install where? If you would find the time to write something like another helpful user did in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29060 (maybe in that thread and not here?), i would be even more grateful! Especially I wonder how you manage arranging your around 800 books on your iliad! And you mentioned your use of an external harddrive. Here I am wondering if there are 2,5" usb cases that do not need an external power supply with the Iliad. Do you know this?

Thank you, again, very much!
Dear cze,

congratulations, excellent choice. As you can see, iRex iLiad clearly makes my top 3, in some instances it ranks sole #1 (PDF zooming being one of these).
On my first iLiad (which has been stolen after 1 year) I've tested more or less all applications, which have been available back then (summer 2007). Honestly, on my replacement unit, I didn't even bother.
All of the applications have been working. But I simply didn't find them necessary.
I don't use FBReader, as it's easy enough, to convert all my books to "standard" formats. Either I purchase .prc, which I can view directly and perfectly on iLiad. Or I purchase .lrx, which can't be stripped from DRM anyway. Or I go for .epub and usually convert to .lrf and .mobi, so I can read them on all my other readers.
Browsing the web on eInk devices isn't my goal, I usually do it on my UMPC which I've always got with me.
The improved contentlister has some nice aspects. But I don't need it as well, organizing my files in folders works fine enough.
There are great additions to the Ipdf viewer. But even without these additions, I consider iLiad's PDF capabilities by far the best of all my readers. For example, I don't need fullscreen, when iLiad already has a far bigger display then Sony 505 or most of the other readers. And I love the simplicity and usability of the standard Ipdf application, wheres I find the additions less "handy".

I transfer all of my ebooks via CF-Reader. Then I copy the very same document structure to the SD card of my iRex 1000S. (My CF-Reader handles SD as well.)

Organizing the files is no problem at all.
My first hirarchical level is the source, where I've got the books from, i. e. mobipocket.com or fictionwise.com.
Very convenient: With "iLiad Manifest Creator" (JAVA), you can manipulate the folder. You can add a thumbnail or add comments.
Most of the times, I don't even need another hirarchical level of folders. I've got about 8 sources, so it's less than 100 books per folder.
For the bigger folders, my next hirarchical level is "genre".
It's far from perfect. With Sony's library software, for example I can use "collections". Meaning, the very same book can be in numerous collections.
I could have a collection for genre "Horror" and another collection for genre "Stephen King", all containing the very same books.
With iLiad it's a bit more complicated, as I sometimes by accident have the very same book physically from 2 different sources. If so, I delete the one from the less favorite source. Sometimes I struggle to remember, in which folder a specific book may be. But usually, I simply scroll through my folders until I find my next read(s). Once you've opened a book, it's easy to find it again. iLiad remembers your last reads.

Concerning the external harddrive: I've used "Transcend StoreJet OTG", no external power supply. I already had bought this harddisk, to copy my Photos on that harddisk (being USB host), without use of any PC - directly from my camera.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-03-2009 at 01:00 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote