View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Personally, I wish McNealy luck. I just wish he hadn't suggested that there have been no mathematical breakthroughs since Newton...
As someone who worked under McNealy at Sun for 11 years, I can safely say that he's prone to tossing deliberately provocative statements out there without worrying too much about 100% accuracy. I assume he means well, but sometimes I wish he were a little more thoughtful about some of the things he says.

Regarding changes in mathematics -- and especially mathematics education-- since Newton, one could do worse than to review the work done by the University of Chicago in their "Everyday Math" program: http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/educators/index.shtml

There has been a lot of change in this area over the past few decades.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote