View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #68
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I also try to get to know the "basic words" when I'm visiting a country. However, last summer I made a trip to southern / eastern europe; we started off in Greece, passed through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and Austria to end up in Slovakia.

So, we basically had to learn how to say "thank you" in 6 different languages (well, 5 actually since I already knew German).

And then I got surprised that people laughed at me when I said "благодаря" in Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherkanner View Post
My problem, I don't have ze french accent when I speak so people don't know where I'm coming from and sometimes reply to me in their language at an incredible speed and I don't understand a single word
I know the feeling. On a trip to Sweden a couple of years ago, I asked a man for directions in broken Swedish. He started replying at high speed, and when he was finished, he asked me "Förstår du?" ("do you understand?"). Since I did understand the "förstår du"-part, I just said "ja, tack så mycket", and asked someone else in English

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 06-26-2009 at 04:33 AM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote