Thread: Feeling Lost
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprofs

Is there a reader designed to be lightweight, portable, with a light that you can purchase well known novels for? Also, do any come with color? I've heard about ebookwise, but I'm so confused, I don't know which to turn to!
Short answer: no

The closest to your requirements comes the Sony Reader but it has no integrated light and the selection of available novels is limited unless you put your own content on, and the Ebookwise1150 sold by Fictionwise through a subsidiary, which has a backlight but it is uglier and most likely the selection of novels in its format is even more limited than for Sony

Right now if you do not want to bother with file converting and finding your own content, just buy and read, I guess only something with lots of software like a pda that suports ereader, mobipocket, mslit, or a tablet will do, and both have their different limitations.

To a large extent it does not make sense to invest in a an ereading device, if you are not prepared to learn how to convert formats, find and put your own content on the device and so on.

Personally, I was almost completely clueless about e-books about a year ago (I would read occasional short fiction online or on my pc, and buy a Webscription once in a while from Baen but print it out on small 8 arial font and read it), but a change in the distribution of my free time pretty much forced me into e-books if I wanted to keep reading as much as before, and I learned quickly what works, what I want, and since then I read more than 50 new full novels, plus short stories, plus partial novels, plus rereads on my 2 devices (Ebookwise1150, and Nokia770) and while I read p-books also due to content limitations, I think that about 65% of my reading is now e, 35% p

So ultimately why you want to read e-books is the most important factor for a decision about what ereading device to buy.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote