View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Well, I worked out a way around it.

I exported my 'cropped' to TIFF and then created a PDF with them again. After that, I ran OCR again. Ended up with about a 20 meg file but.. so it goes. Optimizing just makes it bigger at this point. But then I 'reduced PDF size' and it looked pretty rough on the computer, but looked good on the Kindle (and page turns weren't too slow.)

So... in conclusion:
  • Scan text at 300dpi B&W
  • Create PDF with images
  • Crop whitespace
  • Then go through and crop individual pages that extend beyond the text area (usually because of edges)
  • Export to TIFF files again
  • Create a NEW PDF with these files
  • Run OCR & optimize
  • Save a nice 'archive' copy
  • Then 'Save As...' and setup a new file.
  • Run 'Reduce File Size' at highest version interoperability (for me this was Adobe 8)
  • Pop into Calibre, adjust metadata and put on Kindle
  • Read, and bemoan your lack of Table of Contents because evidently Amazon doesn't actually use the features they create and realize what a stupid thing that was to leave out.

---
I think Foxit is PC only, so it wouldn't really help. I have to run Windows in emulation which is good enough for scanning, but any real work needs to be done in Mac mode - it's too aggravating otherwise.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote