View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Scanning documents into pdfs is a tough problem and I've never found a really good solution. That said, here are a few random brainstormy thoughts in no particular order...
  • First and foremost, if you don't like how Adobe shrinks your files you might try shrinking them yourself, first. In particular, if you turn the image to black-and-white, then save as a PNG file, it will be about as small as it can be. JPEG doesn't actually compress B&W very well.
  • You might limit your resolution. On the Kindle DX anything above 150 dpi is lost information anyways. You can always archive the original scans if you don't want to lose the detail, but for everyday pdfs I suggest lower-resolution versions.
  • Instead of Adobe, you might try an alternative like (for example) ImageMagick. I'm pretty sure that ImageMagick will happily compile a bunch of jpgs/tiffs/pngs into a multi-page pdf. It will probably also let you specify the amount of compression to use! You just have to figure out the right options...
  • You can also reduce file size without losing much quality by converting to B&W, then doing a slight gaussian blur. This leaves most of the page as compressible white space while still giving the letters nice soft edges.
I hope one of those is helpful!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote