"Send to device" problems with 0.5.14 / PRS-505
Hi, I'm having what seem to be performance problems with attempting to send files to my PRS-505's memory card under Windows Vista.
Individual files transfer just fine, but today I tried to transfer 69 files (about 900 MB) at a time. Calibre appeared to lock up for about 15 minutes before it began copying, and overall system performance degraded noticeably. During this time, Calibre appeared to be buffering the files to the AppData/Local/Temp directory, but I don't understand why it needs to do this or why it takes so long. Then, after the actual transfer started, it aborted with this error message:
Job: **Upload 69 books to device: <long list of titles removed>**
**IOError**: (2, 'No such file or directory')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 43, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 173, in _upload_books
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 430, in upload_books
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 376, in put_file
File "shutil.pyo", line 30, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
And then the PRS-505 rebooted.
Moreover, when I also today attempted to transfer my whole library (about 6 GB) to a fresh memory card, the operating system locked up entirely after a few minutes (not even Ctrl-Alt-Delete helped) and I had to force a reboot of the computer.
I'm not sure if it would be helpful if I opened a ticket about this, but I suggest that a progress bar or some indication of activity during the buffering stage, at least, would be helpful from a UI point of view.
Addition: Transfering the files in batches of ten worked fine, too. It seems that there is something in the transfer code that does not scale well.
Last edited by TMF; 06-14-2009 at 05:42 PM.