View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysax View Post
I don't think Amazon "crippled" the DX. I'm sure they are aware of the limitations and that they did what they could within the limitations of time, price and reliability. My guess is that due to the screen size they struggled to get the price under $500 and due to a desire to get the device out in time to implement textbook usage for next fall they rushed the release.

It's actually pretty apparent that the real money in ebooks is selling ebooks, not selling devices. The model is give away the razor and sell the razor blades, give away the printer and sell the ink, model.

In order to achieve cheap costs, they need manufacturing experience and higher demand. I remember when a cheap pocket calculation cost several hundred dollars.
But, the main reason for the DX is to be able to view PDF. I don't think this works as well as it should from what I am reading. There is no reason not to have ToC and internal link support at the very least. Amazon is trying to market the DX to schools and a lot of text books come in PDF. So without these basic functions, it wont work well to replace text books. It's not a matter of sell the device cheaply enough and then make the money on the content. It's a matter of the software on the DX makes it unusable for what Amazon is saying it is meant for. I can understand not having reflow on a 9.7" screen. But I cannot understand why no ToC and internal links.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote