View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Debian is a honkin' pain. That's why the Buddha invented Ubuntu.

Well, it's not trying to be difficult, it just expects you to know quite a bit about the command line.

I'd actually not recommend adding a Debian repository unless you're pretty familiar with it all -- if you update the wrong thing, it could bork the device. I'm not very familiar with ARM machines at all -- I'm struggling with how to get access to the underlying OS, sub-GUI, for when I bork it up.

Did you add the handhelds.org repository? It's the one that Smart used -- but didn't enable.

Run PCManFM. Go to the /etc/apt folder. Switch to root (under Tool on PCManFM menu.) Double-click (or click if you haven't changed that yet) on sources.list Leafpad will launch in root mode: there's only one line -- change it to:

Code:
deb http://repository.handhelds.org/hasty-armv6el-vfp hasty main multiverse universe restricted
You should be able to just edit the current line -- there are a couple of extra sections in the one from China (which was on some sort of local network, they must have mirrored the one from handhelds.org.)

Save it, then launch a terminal, and type sudo apt-get update.

There's a GUI front-end for apt-get in the repository, gnome-apt. It's not nearly as good as Synaptic, but Synaptic is not in the repository, so... It's better than aptitude or apt-get. (Well, maybe. Aptitude, with a keyboard attached is pretty good, but a little klunky.) gnome-apt looks pretty old, and it has a bit of a weird interface, but you can resize it, and it's clickable. Slow though.

I ditched some stuff. It's remarkable how much GNOME is on this -- there really shouldn't be any GNOME on such a tiny thing. I'll experiment more when I've got some more time.

I did a search in aptitude (hey, now I sorta know how to do that) and gnome-games is available. But I didn't try to install it. Just do sudo apt-get install gnome-games once you have the repository enabled and updated. Answer any questions, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

m a r

BTW, PCManFM is driving me nuts. It's just not managing the desktop well, and whenever it lurches, I get popup menus galore... Thunar would probably kill the Q7 though. I'm gonna have to go to Pantip and see if I can find someone to upgrade the memory...
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote