View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5
However the point about 10 years obsolescence may not be far off the mark with BBeB books.
That's exactly the point I had in mind when I added the qualifier "...as long as the files are migratable...."

I agree that PDF will likely be around for a very long time, but as it presently exists I don't really consider it an e-book format, for reasons that have been previously discussed here in great detail (so I won't go over them yet again ... maybe later).

I'm hopeful that a standard format might come along within ten years, all these devices which are supposed to 'obsolete' the Reader would seem to increase pressure for establishing one. I think a standard is inevitable, it's just a question of how long will the players be able to delay it.

I'm also hopeful that Connect would migrate their offerings to this notional standard. It only makes sense from their standpoint. If a standard does come into being, then anyone who doesn't support it won't sell any hardware, and anyone who doesn't offer content in it won't sell any content.

But of course you are most correct that there is no garauntee that Sony would see it that way, or even still be in the e-book business when this standard comes to pass. BBeB is just like Mobi, PRC, LIT, and the rest in that regard: you pays your money, you takes your chances. DRM without a standard format is basically a craps shoot when it comes to future usability.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote