View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
As fellow readers, do you do the daily/casual Crossword Puzzles?

I am asking because, am find a lot of fun doing the daily NYT xword puzzle. And for me spending a Friday or Sunday questioning the lineage of Will Shortz is a pure delight.

However I because we have a NYT subscription, it also includes access to the only xword puzzle of the day and it's huge archive of puzzles from years gone by. And I think I have a desert island reserve of old puzzles saved but I keep them numbers just for certain emergency's.

I find them very relaxing and wonderful option to staying fresh on a variety of topics because some clues defy your thought process no matter what and might require some "cheating" by hunting up recent articles potentially associated with a clue...plus Will Shortz is Marquis de Sade in the guise of a mild manner writer/pocket protector wearing freak boy...and that is one of the kinder names I call him most days, even on some Mondays, though on Monday I seem to find him far less of a putz. (if ya do the puzzles you get those past two sentences, if not, do a bit of Googling or rent the movie/documentary "Wordplay" and you WILL understand...)

Anyway, I am at a loss as to why there is a line from I believe Netronix which is including Sudoku puzzles but not anything for crossword puzzle lovers. Sudoku, is dull, and I am a mathematician. Though in small doses can be a LOT of fun so I see why folks like them, plus anything to improve peoples relationship with even just the arithmetic used in Sudoku puzzles is a good thing. People are too intimidated by the basics for some reason.

I just see adding crossword puzzle software to some of the more text input friendly device out there (and if they can do Sudoku they can add crossword support) should include both.

Reading the AcrossLite format is a must as most of the more prominent puzzles are published online suing that format. For Windows and, I think the Mac as well as a couple larger Linux platforms there is a free player direct from the AcrossLite folks. But the choices are less so for small devices. However the good news is for the smaller kernel Linux variations out in the world world there is a nice, lightweight app out there called Xword. Someone did a very quick mod to get it running on the Nokia N8x0 (and I think even the N770 but am not certain there) which also run OS2008/OS2007 for sure but And maybe OS2007HE for the N770 users. Best of all it is free.

I created the pole to find out just how hand-in-hand reading and doing crosswords actually can or cannot be. To me it is a no brainer, if you read, and enjoy words then crossword puzzles only improve your comprehension as well as expose a person to new ideas and subjects. I do them for fun not speed and do not care if I spend a weekend on a Friday puzzle or 30-mins on a Monday puzzle...it is a lot more relaxing than many thing.

I love using my N800 for puzzles because I have wireless access and an use the Wiki (easiest) if I need to cheat because of a total lack of familiarity with a clue. Hey, better to learn and keep solving the puzzle than to stop because I never learned anything about, say, Opera. (no not Oprah...OPERA)

Oh, yeah, if you are also not aware there are lots of free sources for puzzles as well. And a very reasonable trick if you like the NYT puzzles is to get a one month puzzles only sub for like $15 then download EVERYTHING in the archieve...I promise even your kids will have turned to dist before all of those puzzles are solved, there are that many and because they are just text files, down load fast. I think my "desert island" reserve is around 3000 puzzles...ok, so one weekend I got a tad over zealous...

Anyway, long winded post for a basic question, do you or don't you solve crossword puzzles for fun and relaxation? BTW, they also offer a great distraction from daily stresses...or add to them on Friday & often Sundays as well.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote