View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Process for creating several eBook formats from MS Word doc

I am just about finished with my latest novel and I am preparing to make it available for free as a DRM-free download in several different formats. In the past, I’ve done this in a piecemeal fashion because I was not aware of all the different format types available when I started.

This time, I would like to be more efficient in my process. I am still, however, very new to this and I would like to review my general plan in front of others in order to get any assistance that might be available.

The novel is in one large MS Word doc. There are no pictures, other than the book cover, and no complicated tables, graphs, or other attachments.

I intend to take the following steps in the order they are listed:

1. Use the “Read In Microsoft” Command to create a .lit file directly from the open document in Word.

2. Use the “Save As…” Command to create a text file in Plain text (.txt) directly from the open document.

3. Use “Mobipocket Creator Home Edition” to import the existing MS word file and then create a Mobipocket version in .prc format.

4. With calibre, use the “Add books” command to include the .lit version into the library, then use the “Convert E-books” Command in calibre on the .lit version to create EPUB, LRF, and MOBI versions.

5. Finally, create a pdf file with either CutePDF or some other tool. It’s been a while since I’ve done this conversion, so I honestly don’t remember what I’ve used in the past.

At this point, I’m about a week or two away from beginning the conversion process. I just wanted to throw the basic plan out there to see if anyone had any suggestions, or if I’m making some serious blunders in my intended scheme.

Thanks,

Jeff Inlo
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote