View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
[...]or even their requirement by governments and agencies...
I disagree.

Quote:
It's also a reason to look for quality, and pay that extra when you find it.
I agree.

Quote:
And always keep in mind: It may be the 21st century, but we haven't managed to establish manufacturing perfection yet. Things still break down, whether we like it or not... and they likely will for the foreseeable future.
This is one of the reasons I research things carefully, and also why, like you (though our principal reasons may differ, though I do prefer to see things being given a second (or twentieth) life instead of sent to a scrap yard), I buy most things second hand and from fleamarkets, etc. Many things I own and use are older than I am, because they were built more sturdy and are less prone to breaking/wearing out. While some need to be brought back up to specs, or enhanced with modern safety standards(electrical or mechanical) it still is a great deal better to buy old for many machines and tools I use. I also buy quality and use items til they are completely dead, I avoid 'keeping' up with technology, even though that is my field.

As to my own lighting I probably have a 30/30/40 mix, CFL/Inc/Flr. Interesting to note, I have four fluorescent shop lamps that are still going strong after 30-40 years. And they are used daily.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote