View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #41
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To all who want to make p-books, it really isn't too hard, with the following caveats:

1. You have to have special equipment. The more equipment you have, the more like commercial books they'll look.

2. They won't be cheap. This is not a craft you save money at!

The minimum equipment you have to have is a book press. I got mine on e-bay for slightly under $200. Really nice ones can run over $2,000... If you want to do folded books (like commercial books, where the paper is folded over and the edges are trimmed) required a trimmer, which cost $600 for a cheap one (they're called a book plow). I couldn't afford it, so I don't make folded books.

It's easier to buy the materials off the 'net pre-cut for the size you want. (trust me, cutting boards is tough work - far, far, easier to buy them pre-cut, in bulk).

You'll need a computer and a computer printer. You print out the sheet on the printer - odd number pages on one side, even on the other side. Black ink will last maybe 400 pages, front and back. You do the math for your printer's cost. I don't use the cheapo ink reloads, because if I'm gonna do all the work, I want the book to last...

There's a lot more, but I figure I've bored y'all enough...

But the results can be real pretty. (The book I showed cost around $200 to make. Boy Howdy! Color ink is expensive....)

EDIT: After making 20 or P-books. I discovered e-books. Scanning and proofing e-books is a piece of cake compared to making p-books.... But it is still a fine handcraft, and at the end, there is a great sense of pride in the making...

Last edited by Greg Anos; 05-27-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote