View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Most of this sounds like a bad idea, but I don't think I would mind video on textbooks where appropriate (for example, a chemical demonstration in a chemistry textbook) or perhaps some music in a musical theory textbook. We include pictures in textbooks already, after all, right? Of course, this assumes internet connections go up on par so that the extra media won't be a bandwidth problem, or there are at least alternative versions to use in that case.
This is just an extension of what we've already seen with CD-Roms in the early nineties. Rich-reference books. But until the e-reader's themselves are up to par to afford this kind of interactivity, what's the point? The internet took over as that 'rich-reference' fucnction where all these things are already doable. To me it seems like a thinly veiled ploy to lock-down, restrict and extend the idea of 'digital renting' instead of 'digital owning'. A Random House bundled application that you can't format shift, that's tied to a singular device or reading application -- oh, and bonus, you get all that cruft you already pay extra for with DVD's (marketing crap, behind the scenes rubbish nobody even cares about, interviews.)

No thanks. It's very simple for me. Give me a novel with cleanly formatted text that's portable, without DRM and at a reasonable price and I'm your customer.

If I wanted a rich-multimedia experience, books would not be my first port of call.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote