View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
I read almost zero fiction, so Iím not sure Kindleís store would be a big advantage for me.
The Kindle has a bigger lead in non-fiction than fiction over other ebook stores. It has Warrant: The Current Debate by Alvin Plantinga for example. Note that this seems to be a TOPAZ ebook, which are sometimes not of the best quality - but at least it is available.

There are quite a few older non-fiction ebooks only available as Adobe PDF, but until Amazon came along nobody was seriously pushing non-fiction ebooks. There are issues with the Kindle for technical ebooks (with tables and displaying programs as text and other advanced formatting features), but this should not be an issue for philosophy books. If an ebook is only available as an Adobe PDF ebook, then ineptpdf can strip the DRM (Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented) and Windows MobiPocket Reader or Calibre can convert it to DRM-free MOBI for the Kindle. This isn't thought by some to be legal in the US, but it is hard to see who is hurt by doing this for personal use on ebooks you own.

Overall, I suggest deciding if the Kindle store has enough of the books you want to read. If so, then get a Kindle (or an iPhone/Touch). If not, then don't buy an ebook reader. Note that the selection of ebooks is hit and miss even in fiction.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote