View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Reader Lifespan (Longevity)

... or lack thereof.

Assuming an average user, that is to say average abuse, such that you keep it away from kids and pets, but may drop it once in a while, or may be bouncing around in a backpack,etc.
Assuming average use,....
What is the effective lifespan of Reader going to be? (again on average)

For instance, the LiIon battery should last at least 5 years, perhaps up to 10, who knows maybe more. The screen I would assume should last a long time. Now buttons I don't know. Not sure how robust they are, but should be safe to assume 3+ years, at least.

So without any special interventions so far I have 5ish years lifespan.

At some point someone is likely to come up with instructions on how to replace battery. Should buttons last, I supposed one could replace battery and get 10+ years out of it. Unless of course by then the screen is damaged too much, buttons are not responsive etc.

So what do you think? What is the effective lifespan of this gizmo?

Again, assume eBook format is Ok (I can use TXT and PDF for ever)

I am asking because $350 is too much for a 3 year gizmo. Now if it lasted 10 years then the price is fine.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote