View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #41
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
No DRM on anything, period. Pax Librorum is in the business of selling dead-tree books. The eBooks are considered a tool for promotion.
As far as I am concerned, that falls into "freebie" category, with a COMPLETELY different set of rules. And the rules are that publisher is free to do whatever he thinks will work.

I have nothing against DRMed freebies. Or one heavily laced with advertisements. I might chose not to read them, but I do not have anything against them. It is a freebie, it is a marketing tool, there is no such thing as a free lunch, take it or leave it.

With a business strategy that you just laid out, I would argue that you SHOULD use PDF's. It is a showcase, it sends a message that pbooks offered on that site will be properly typeset and worth the "pride of ownership", which is a very important aspect of pbooks (specifically, hardcover, paperback is doomed) sales in these digital times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I suppose I make the distinction between "free range" eBooks that have no real guardian, and "published" eBooks that somebody is responsible for.
Sadly, the lack of maintenance and guardianship is built into our world.

I believe that this is precisely the space where a smaller player can make a difference and carve his niche market.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote