View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Thanks, =X=! Glad to hear it's going in the right direction!

I assume when you say the font size might be too small, you are referring to the first (10pt font size) document.

Here's is the same document with 11pt fonts, and a smaller margin. (I should note that the 12pt and this 11pt PDF's did not have their bookmarks and related metadata fully fixed up yet.)

Is it better? How do you find the margins? (They are now the thinnest they can be made due to the idiosyncrasies of the text's typesetting.) Is the ruled header helpful and non-disruptive? Are the page numbers helpful, or do some readers have automatic page numbering that it may conflict with?
I've looked at all the books 10/11/12/14pts. The 11pts with small margins looks the best. With the Sony readers a user can get away with 12pts but 14 is just too large. People can always increase the font size but they cannot decrease them.

The headers works and I think are a good idea. I like calibre's approach where it makes the header a smaller font than the body and puts it in the upper right corner so that it is readable but small and out of the way.

The page number is useless and only take up precious space. Most if not all readers have some form of progress tracking as well as page count. If your ebook is catering to eBook Readers I advise removing them.

Oh I forgot to mention this but the PDF files do not have the "Author" meta data filled.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote