Thread: Tablet PC.
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
So following shighfield's (Shawn's) post, I went ahead and purchased a used X41 because I was intrigued by the possibilities of using a tablet for reading ebooks and pdfs. I must admit that I'm a little regretful with the purchase because the battery included only lasts about 1.5 hrs. but that's a purchasing gaffe that I made.

Anyway, here are my pros and cons in no particular order with using a tablet PC for reading ebooks:

Battery life - At least 3 hours would work better for me. Obviously, purchasing a new tablet (with a new battery) or a new battery alone would help with this problem.

Weight - Although the X41 is advertised to be 3.5 lbs with the 8-cell battery, it does feel awkward and heavy to get comfortable with for reading ebooks for a long period of time. A dedicated ebook reader is far more comfortable.

Heat Dissipation - While holding the tablet, I can feel the heat being blown out of it which is not necessarily very comfortable.

Ebook Experience - I can read any format on the 12" screen with any font I like . Using the LCD screen for reading doesn't bother me.

Flexibility - I can use the device for more than just reading books.

What I would like to have is a "slate" PC that could do everything above but be 2 pounds or lighter at a reasonable price (~$500). I'm not in the "know" on what's available out there but the very popular HP 2730P and Lenovo x200t tablet PCs are still 3.5 lbs and are still about $1000 CAD or more. I don't know what slate PCs exist today and I would have to do a little research to get myself up to speed.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote