View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #53
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Traditional scones

These are not the nice neat and tidy looking scones you can buy in supermarkets and some cafes. They are a bit sprawly and pitted, but they are light and tasty.

Makes 10-12 scones, depending how good you are at cutting the things out!

Ingredients
Plain scones
  • 500g plain flour
  • 8 tsp baking pwder
  • (you can substitute 500g of self raising flour for the above - my mother in law reckons it tastes better if you do)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 75g fat (ideally a mix of about 1/2 something like TREX and 1/2 something like butter. It works well using a spread like benecol, too)
  • 300ml milk (I use skimmed)
  • Extra flour for rolling
Lightly greased baking tray(s)

For sweet plain scones add:
  • 75g granulated sugar
  • Small drop of vanilla (or use vanilla sugar or vanilla salt in place of the salt or sugar)

For fruit scones add:
  • 75g raisins (or sultanas)
  • 25g sugar

For cheese scones add:
  • 75g extra mature cheddar
  • 1 tsp English mustard powder
  • (I usually put more cheese and mustard in - but don't put too much cheese in as the scones will get too soggy)
If you want to glaze the tops, one beaten egg (I don't do this)

Method
  • Preheat oven to 220c
  • Put dry ingredients in a bowl (this includes cheese, raisins etc)
  • Add the fat and rub in until it's like wet sand
  • Add all the milk in one go and mix together quickly
  • Turn the mix out onto a floured surface and roll until it's just deeper than 1" thick
  • Using a cutter that's about 2 1/2" diameter, cut out as many circles as you can.
  • Ball up the remainder, roll out, continue cutting
  • carry on until you have used all the dough
  • Put in oven to bake for about 10 minutes - check after 8 to see if they're golden.
  • Eat on day of baking.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote