View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #56
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I realize that in this debate I am a tiny minority of one, but I am quite resolved to remain so.

What you all - especially Bowerbird - want is some majority rating system, like what is used by Zagat for restaurants (I stopped trusting the reviews when I went to one too many poor restaurants), where what I look for is a publisher (Farrar, Straus; Pantheon; the old New Directions) and a reviewer whose taste I trust and I use them as guides. Self-publishing has been around a long time, and I am yet to read even one self-published book (given or lent to me by its author) that showed me that the publisher made a mistake. Good books have a way of getting out: Nabokov's Lolita was turned down by one American publisher after another, but there is generally always one (here, Putnam, which I know you will all denigrate, because it publishes only what sells, as if that were some kind of evil) who will "discover" the obvious.

You will not convince me, nor I you, but time will certainly tell.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote